There are some programs that you do not just have to get attached to any college for enrollment if you want to make it in life through that career and one of such programs is oceanography. To be good in this course, you have to ensure that you look for the best oceanography schools to enroll.
In this article, I will be guiding you through some things you will need to know about oceanography and also list some best oceanography schools you can check out when you want to start applying to colleges.
- 1 What is Oceanography
- 2 Who is an oceanographer
- 3 How much does an Oceanographer make in the United States?
- 4 How much does it cost to attend oceanography school
- 5 Best Oceanography schools in USA
- 6 1. University of Washington
- 7 2. Kutztown University
- 8 3. Florida Institute of Technology
- 9 4. North Carolina State University
- 10 5. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
What is Oceanography
Oceanography is defined as the study of the biological and physical aspects of the ocean. which means that every course relating to the ocean is all under oceanography and that includes marine.
A person who studies oceanography is called an oceanographer.
Note this, before picking this course, ensure that you are a fan of the ocean. i.e if you are not someone that likes the water, swimming, etc then picking a course in oceanography is not advisable.
Every oceanography student does have what we called a field trip in the ocean.
After knowing what oceanography is all about, let’s move ahead and see some best oceanography schools you need to look out for if you want to enroll in the oceanography program, that is ife desire to be an oceanographer
Who is an oceanographer
Oceanographers applys the mathematical, engineering and scientific theories to investigate the relationships between fresh water, seawater, the biosphere, atmosphere and polar ice caps
An Oceanographer can specialise in biological, physical, geological or chemical oceanography. The study of of oceanography makes them to study marine life, the ocean floor, chemicals in sea water, water temperature and density, tides and currents.
Oceanographer job description
- plans, organise and lead field research trips
- collects field samples and data, mainly at sea, using equipment such as remote sensors, marine robots and towed or self-powered underwater vehicles.
- Gives lectures and makes presentations
- Uses numerical/computer modelling to simulate ocean phenomena
- Tests samples in laboratory conditions
- Records, analysis and interprets data obtained from samples and remote sensing equipment
- Uses numerical/statistical modelling to make predictions about trends
- Attend up to date with scientific and research developments
- Attends relevant oceanography conferences, training courses and field trips
- Writes funding bids and research proposals
- Writes research papers, reports and reviews
- analysis water samples for mineral content and life forms
- Uses sophisticated equipment and specialist techniques to analyse samples
How much does an Oceanographer make in the United States?
An average Oceanographer salary in the United States is $70,607 as of February 26, 2021, but the salary range typically falls between $66,373 and $82,510.
Salary ranges can vary widely depending on many important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years you have spent in your profession.
With more online, real-time compensation data than any other website, Salary.com helps you determine your exact pay target.
How much does it cost to attend oceanography school
There are 96 colleges and universities In the United States that are offering Oceanography programs. The average tuition & fees of the Marine Biology and Biological Oceanography program at the schools are $10,343 for state residents and $29,706 for out-of-state students for the academic year 2020-2021.
Best Oceanography schools in USA
1. University of Washington
The University of Washington is a public university that was founded in the year 1861.
The school ranks top 10 as the best university in the US and also in the globe as a whole. As a public school which it is, it ranks top #2 as the world’s best public school.
Listing from the best oceanography schools, the University of Washington is the best oceanography school in the globe.
So even if you want to study physical, geological, chemical oceanography, etc you can still enroll here.
Futheremore, The school has over 47, 405 students already enrolling in the college.
You make want to check it out by using the contacts below or you visit the main school website with the link below.
- Address: Odegaard Library: 022 Odegaard, Seattle, WA 98195-5502
- Phone: 206-543-9198
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- School main website: https://www.washington.edu
- Oceanography site: www.ocean.washington.edu
2. Kutztown University
Kutztown University is also a public school established in the year 1866 in Pennsylvania that’s Kutztown precisely and it is fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges.
The school has over 7000 plus undergraduate students enrolling already.
Kutztown University is one of the top best oceanography schools in Pennsylvania.
You can get into Kutztown University with a minimum of 2.0 GPA but to stand a better chance, you will need around 3. Up in GPA to study any course under oceanography.
Find out more;
- Address: 15200 Kutztown Rd, Kutztown, PA 19530, United States
- Phone: +1 610-683-4000
- Website: https://www.kutztown.edu
3. Florida Institute of Technology
Although Florida Institute of Technology is a private institution founded in the year 1958 by Dr. Jerome P. Keuper a visionary scientist, it ranks as the top (#1) best engineering college in the country and the 3rd best college for international students.
So if you are an international student looking for not just where to study oceanography, but also where you will be accepted by the students and staffs of the school as an international student, then the Institute of Technology will be a nice place for you.
- Address: 150 W University Blvd, Melbourne, FL 32901, United States
- Phone: +1 321-674-8000
- Website: https://www.fit.edu
Read Also: Best Film production schools in texas
4. North Carolina State University
North Carolina State University is one of the largest Universities in Carolina which was founded in the year 1887. The school is located in Raleigh, North Carolina with over 23, 710 students.
The school has over 12 colleges, and it is fairly competitive. NCSU is not a partying school, so if you are looking for where you will be able to focus on your studies without being distracted, then NCSU will be the best place for you.
For the school to be the best public school in Carolina, you will need to try and maintain a high GPA to be accepted into the school to study any course of your choice.
It is also one of the most affordable colleges.
- Address: Raleigh, NC 27695, United States
- Phone: +1 919-515-2011
- Website: https://www.ncsu.edu
5. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
It is also one of the best oceanography schools located in Cambridge as a private school. It was founded in the year 1861 by William Barton Rogers.
When it comes to the world’s best institute of technology, MIT is the best over Havard university.
Although MIT does not have a particular minimum GPA that is demanded by the school, but to stand a better chance of getting into the institution, you need nothing less than 3.5, and above GPA to be able to beat your competitors who are also applying to the institute same time with you.
To get more info, visit the school site with the link below;
- Phone: +1 617-253-1000
- Address: 77 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, United States
- Website: https://www.mit.edu