There are scholarships for students in different fields of study like medicine, Engineering, Sciences and so it is for john Lennon scholarship for song writers and composers.
If you are interested in music or you are already into song writing, and you need help to get the required skill and become expert, then the John Lennon scholarship Program for song writers is for you.
The John Lennon Scholarships are an annual competition open to student songwriters and composers of contemporary musical genres including alternative, pop, rock, indie, electronica, R&B, and experimental.
Over the past twenty years, more than $400,000 in scholarships has been awarded to talented young musicians from colleges and universities throughout the United States, making this award one of the nation’s most esteemed accolades for emerging songwriters.
You can also apply for Calvin Coolidge Scholarship Program
About John Lennon scholarship for song writers
Established in 1997 by Yoko Ono in conjunction with the BMI Foundation, this scholarship program honors the memory of one of the preeminent songwriters of the 20th century.
Lennon’s enormous creative legacy includes “I Want To Hold Your Hand,” “Strawberry Fields,” “Imagine,” “I Am the Walrus,” “All You Need Is Love,” and “Come Together,” and continues to inspire and uplift new generations of music lovers around the world.
Through the generosity of Ono and Gibson Musical Instruments, three scholarships totaling $20,000 are presented annually for the best original songs submitted to the competition. Applicants must be U.S. john Lennon scholarship for song writers is for you.
College students between the ages of 17 and 24. Works are judged by a prestigious panel of music publishers, songwriters, musicians, and executives. Broadcast Music Inc.’s Assistant VP of Writer-Publisher Relations, Samantha Cox, oversees the competition.
Cox has worked to build the careers of numerous major recordings artists, including Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, and 3 Doors Down, and lends her rich, varied experience for supporting new talent to her role as the program’s Director.
- Current student or alumnus/alumna at a U.S. college or university.
- Between the ages of 17 and 24 as of the submission deadline.
- No rights to the submitted work may have been assigned to a major music publisher or to a major record label.
- Is not a prior BMI Foundation John Lennon Scholarship winner (excluding Honorable Mentions).
John Lennon scholarship Program Amount
- $3,000 for Low Amount Awarded
- $10,000 for High Amount Awarded
- $20,000 for Total Amount Awarded
Note: John Lennon Scholarship entrants who are also applying for the Nashville Songwriting Scholarship must submit different songs for each contest. Dual applicants may NOT submit the same original work to both competitions.
Application Procedures for the BMI Foundation John Lennon scholarship Program
- For applying for the scholarship, the candidates must submit an online scholarship application form through the given link: https://bmifoundation.org/applications/form/john_lennon_scholarships_application
- Applicants may submit only one song to the competition.
- The submitted work must be an original song with lyrics accompanied by whatever instrumentation is chosen by the applicant. Both lyrics and music must be original and not based on any prior work.
- The entry must be submitted online
- The entry must be submitted as an MP3 or MP4a file, which should be named only with the title of the song.
- One copy of the lyrics must also be submitted as a PDF.
- Neither of these items may indicate the name of the applicant or their school.
- Applicants should retain copies of their recordings and lyrics since the Foundation will not undertake to return materials.
For more information on applications, visit scholarship site
Ms. Samantha Cox Director
7 World Trade Center 250 Greenwich Street New York, NY 10007-0030